Homemade fish and vegetable pie is classic comfort food and loaded with vegetables. A great and easy fish week day recipe. With the added twist of a sweet potato and pumpkin topping... trust us its delicious! Fish in a creamy sauce with the addition of leeks, peas, onion, carrot, spinach, sweet potato and pumpkin makes this a great family meal and sure to become a favorite in your week day repertoire!
For the topping:
- Sweet potatoes or kumara
For the fish pie filling:
- Dried basil
- dried fennel
- chicken stock
- Spinach (Fresh or frozen)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- White fish fillets (fresh of frozen)
- Panko or bread crumbs
What is the best fish to use for fish pie?
Monkfish works well in a fish pie. The flesh holds up well, creating nice pieces of fish through out the dish. But any firm white fish will work well, you want the flesh to hold its structure and not completely crumble.
This recipe also works great with frozen fish. We love having fish ready in the freezer to whip up meals like this.
The key to making sure you have perfectly cooked fish in a fish pie, is focusing on cooking the sauce and building the flavour first. Than adding the fish right at the end allowing it to gently cook to perfection without overcooking.
You might also love...
This dish really is packed with a whole bunch of goodness. We love showcasing vegetables to the kids, letting them enjoy and taste them whole as they are. Our fish pie topping is a mix of sweet potato and pumpkin mash then topped with panko crumbs for a little extra crunch.
This topping is seriously yum and the kids will love it too, but don't take our word for it, give this easy homemade fish and vegetable pie a try and enjoy!
Love this dish? Please leave us a review below. And come join us on social, tag us in your delicious photos Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest. Hungry for more deliciousness? Subscribe to our newsletter, to receive our latest e-recipe book and never miss another ATK recipe!
Our goal is to share simple, tasty dishes created by Chef Shane and partner, Sara. Using Shane's understanding of flavours and knowledge of food, to teach and inspire you to create delicious food everyday and gain a new level of confidence in the kitchen. Sara understands what it's like preparing weekly dinners for a busy family of five and likes to create dishes that are easy, full of flavour and that the whole family will enjoy.
Fish and vegetable pie recipe
This recipe was first published 19th June 2020 and updated on 7th March 2022.
Homemade fish and vegetable pie
- 1 Deep oven proof dish
- 2 Medium sweet potatoes/ kumara peeled
- ½ Small pumpkin peeled
- 80 g Butter
- 50 ml Canola oil
- 1 Medium onion peeled, diced
- ½ Leek white part only, sliced
- 1 Medium Carrot 1 cm diced
- 1 teaspoon Dried Basil
- ½ teaspoon Dried fennel
- 80 g Flour
- 1 ltr Chicken stock
- 4 cubes Fresh or frozen spinach
- 100 g Green peas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 500 g Fresh or frozen white fish fillets cut into chunks
- Hand full of panko or bread crumbs
- Pre heat your oven to 200 deg C
- Cut up your pumpkin and sweet potato, place into a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and cook until soft and ready to mash. Strain off the water, add a knob of butter and a pinch of salt and mash until smooth. Set aside for later.
- Place a large pot on a medium heat and add your oil and butter and allow to heat.
- Turn the heat down low and add in your diced onion, sliced leek and carrots, slowly sweat the vegetables but do not brown to much.
- Add the dried herbs and cook for a minute. Then add the flour and give it a good mix in. Slowly add the chicken stock a little at a time, stirring well after each addition to allow the sauce to thicken. (See note 1 below).
- Add your peas and frozen spinach into the sauce and mix well. Taste to check your seasoning and adjust with a pinch of salt and pepper. Once you are happy with your sauce base add in the fish. (See note 2)
- Transfer your fish pie mix into an oven proof pie dish, spreading it out evenly, Spoon the mashed sweet potato and pumpkin over the top, being careful not to mix it through your sauce. Sprinkle over the panko or bread crumbs and place into the pre heated oven. Cook for 20 minutes until the top get golden.
- Take your delicious pie out of the oven and allow to sit and cool for five minutes before serving and enjoy!