Warning: Highly Addictive! You cant beat a good wing and our version of Chilli Chicken Wings, is seriously finger licking good. These are perfect when your mates are over, watching sport and enjoying a cold beer. Just be prepared to make a large batch!
My recipe is a mash up of a similar dish we enjoyed in Fiji, sitting in the marina restaurant, enjoying the views and yummy sticky chilli coated wings and the sun, pure bliss.
If you love relaxed fake away style meals at the weekend like we do, check at our Fake Away recipe collection, for a whole bunch of other delicious meals.
Discover more delicious recipes:
How to create finger licking good chicken wings.
First, we marinate the wings in a tasty bunch of herbs and spices, leave them for a couple of hours to make sure the flavour really gets into the chicken.
Then we roast the chicken wings in a hot oven, this creates the crispy bits around the edges and that charring adds insanely good flavour. To be honest they will be delicious at this point. But we want to take these wings next level. Thats when we bring in the sauce, a sticky, sweet spicy mix. Cook this up in a fry pan and then add your chicken, mix it well to fully glaze the wings.
This whole process adds so many layers of flavour, creating seriously addictive wings, you have been warned!
A word about the chicken... We recommend free range chicken, because basically you can taste the difference and we want to encourage the best level of farming practises. Different countries and different ways of grading meat and farm practises. But whatever your budget allows for choose the best quality chicken you can afford.
These are great as a game day shared bowl or for entertaining friends. But equally as good with a seasonal green leaf salad, some crunchy potato wedges and you have yourself a yummy family meal.
So enough from us, we are making ourselves hungry just talking about these wings. So seriously give these Chilli Chicken Wings a go and enjoy the heat!
Chilli Chicken Wings
Chicken Wing Marinade
- 1.5 kg Free range chicken wings
- 2 tsp Smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoon Onion powder
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoon Cumin seeds Ground
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon Ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Dried thyme
- 50 ml Canola oil
Spicy Chicken Wing Sauce
- 50 ml Canola oil
- 1 medium Onion (peeled) Chopped 1cm cubes
- 1 Long red chilli Fine sliced
- 2 sticks Spring onion Fine sliced
- 4 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon Tomato ketchup
- 4 tablespoon Oyster sauce
- 3 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- Place your chicken wings into a large plastic bag or a large mixing bowl. Mix together all the marinade ingredients and stir in the oil to make a paste. Pour this over your wings and give them a good mix to make sure they are all evenly coated.I do this in a bag because you can really mix in the marinade and the wings get a really good coating.Place in the fridge for a couple of hours.
- Pre heat your oven to 200 degree C, line a baking tray with foil and then a layer of baking paper. Place a oven rack over your tray.
- Evenly spread the wings on the tray. Try not to overlap, so they cook evenly and get nice and crispy while cooking.Place into your preheated oven for 40 minutes and cook until golden and crisp.
- For your sauce.In a large fry pan, heat the oil on a high heat, add your chopped onion and fry until soften, but don't brown to much.
- Add the soy, ketchup, oyster and sriracha sauces, bring to a simmer, add in your sugar and then add the cooked wings and give a good mix to really coat the wings.
- Lastly add the sliced spring onion and red chilli, give a quick mix and serve.Happy burning lips, enjoy!