Everyone loves a Mexican night at home and it's a great fake away dinner. Our crispy fish tacos are super tasty, fresh and healthy.
We always have a few extra's on the table, too boost the flavours even more. We love our taco's with jalapeno's, sour cream, sweet corn, your favourite hot sauce. The great thing about Mexican is you can add what you like and by making them at home everyone can create to their own preference.
To make this dish we use our own homemade Mexican seasoning which adds a great flavour to the fish but you can also use a taco seasoning packet.
What is the best fish for Crispy Fish Tacos?
Fresh snapper, mahi mahi, grouper, cod, to be honest it doesn't matter, it can be fresh or frozen. I used fresh gurnard fillets as the flesh is flakey and delicious when cooked.
If you don't want to shallow fry your fish goujons, follow the same method to coat them and then simply heat your oven to 200deg C and place your crusted fish onto a tray lined with baking paper and bake for fifteen minutes.
There are lots of delicious sides and elements to this dish, that you can also use in other meals. This the ingredient list many seem long, but these sides are quick and yummy to make.
You maybe starting to notice we love 'fake away' meals, simply for the fact you can make them tastier, fresher and healthier at home. The hardest part of this meal will be resisting an extra taco!
Crispy Fish Tacos
- 500 g Fresh fish fillets Cut into thick strips
- 100 g Flour
- 1 Egg
- 100 ml Milk
- 100 g Panko bread crumbs
- 50 g Corse polenta
- 20 g Taco seasoning You can use a packet mix or try our Mexican seasoning see notes above.
- ¼ Green cabbage
- bunch Fresh coriander
- bunch Spring onion
- 1 ptk Tia Pablo Corn Tortilla packet of 12
- 1 ltr Canola oil For deep frying (or a bench top fryer)
- 1 Avocado
- ½ Lemon
- pinch Salt
Smoked Chipotle Yoghurt
- 200 g Natural unsweetened yoghurt
- 1 small tin Chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce La Morena Brand
- ½ Lemon Juice
- pinch Salt
Black Bean Tomato Salsa
- 1 can Black beans washed and rinsed
- 2 Fresh tomatoes deseeded and diced
- 1 Chipotle pepper chopped
- bunch Fresh coriander Chopped
- bunch Fresh spring onion Chopped
- ½ Lemon Juice
- pinch Salt to taste
- First steps are to give your fish its tasty coating, place your flour into a bowl, crack your egg and add the milk into another bowl, give it a quick whisk, place your panko, polenta and Mexican seasoning into another bowl. Dust your fish with the flour, place into the egg milk mixture then into the panko mix, the flour will help the egg to stick to the fish and the egg will help the panko to stick, once all your fish is done place on a plate and put into your fridge.
- Take your green cabbage and finely shred into thin slaw like strands, set aside. Pick some coriander leaves, slice up your spring onions.
- For the guacamole, simply scoop out the avocado flesh, mash with a fork, add the lemon juice and season with salt, super easy, set aside
- Take the natural yoghurt, add a squeeze of lemon juice, season with salt, slice the chipotle pepper in half and remove the seeds, mash this and add to the seasoned yoghurt. You can also add a bit of the adobo sauce from the can as well.
- For the black bean salsa, simply place all ingredients into a bowl, give it a good mix, taste and done!
- Once all your prep is done its time to cook your fish and tortillas.Heat in a medium pot the oil on a medium heat, check the temperature with a thermometer, you want to oil to be at 180deg C.Once you have the required temperature carefully add 2-3 pieces of fish, fry until golden colour, this should take 2-3 minutes.Once ready remove carefully and place on a paper towel lined plate to adsorb any excess oil, repeat the process until your fish is cooked. (see notes below for alternative cooking method)
- To cook the tortilla's have a fry pan on a medium heat, have a bowl of cold water on hand as well, dip the tortilla into the cold water then place into the heated fry pan, cook on each side for about 1 minute. Once cooked place an a plate and cover with a clean cloth to keep warm. Repeat until you have all your tortilla's cooked.