We love it when a dish makes one ingredient sing and this delicious roasted heirloom carrot salad, certainly does that. Whether you see this dish as a main or a side, we can assure you the flavours are beautiful. The sweetness from roasting the carrots and red onion, with the addition of fennel and cumin seeds, seasoned perfectly and topped with hummus creates a dish that dances on your palate and will leave you wanting more.
Discover more delicious recipes:
What are heirloom carrots?
Heirloom carrots are traditional carrots that haven't been genetically modified like the popular orange carrot. Heirloom carrots come in a variety of colours red, purple, white, yellow. Their colours are natural and have adopted over time to their environment and soil type. Heirloom carrots are sweeter and have more nutritional benefits, then the orange carrot.
In this recipe we have used purple heirloom carrots, a great antioxidant and good source of vitamin K and C. Pick a variety that's available in your area or if you are lucky create a whole rainbow of carrots!
Simple yet tasty recipe
Simple to make yet full of flavour is our idea of the perfect dish. And this recipe couldn't be any simpler. Once all the ingredients are prepared, all you have to do is mix them, heat them in an oven proof dish and pop in the oven. Allowing the heat to do all the work for you, roasting those flavours to perfection. Once ready spoon over the hummus and microgreens then serve. This dish can be made ahead of time or cooking away while your preparing other elements of your meal.
This delicious roasted heirloom carrot salad is a great recipe to have to hand, perfect as a side when entertaining guests or can be enjoyed as a vegetarian main.
So if warm salads are your thing this is a recipe for you... enjoy!
Roasted Heirloom Carrot Salad
- 2 Purple heirloom carrots
- 4 Carrots Orange
- 1 Red onion Peeled
- 1 Bulb of Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Fennel seeds
- 1 Tsp Cumin seeds
- 60 ml Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 80 g Hummus
- Small bunch Microgreens
- Preheat your oven to 180 deg C.
- Peel and cut the carrots into chunks.
- Cut the red onion into quarters and break up the garlic bulb, keeping the cloves in the skin. (The roasted garlic can be squeezed out of their skins before eating).
- Mix the cut carrots, red onion, fennel seeds, cumin seeds and garlic in a bowl, add the olive oil and season with the salt and pepper.
- On a high heat, heat an oven proof dish, add all the mixed ingredients from the bowl.
- Roast a little to give a bit of colour then place into your oven.
- Roast in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and spoon over some hummus and sprinkle over some micro herbs and serve.