Pizzas are a great 'Fake away' dinner, perfect for those casual Friday night meals. Follow this easy homemade pizza dough recipe, for how to make the pizza base from scratch, at home.
Switching from 'take away' to 'fake away' meals means you can recreate your take away favourites while making them healthier, cheaper and tastier. Its also a great away to get the whole family involved in cooking.
Can you use plain flour for pizza dough?
Yes you can, ideally you should use a strong bread flour as this will make the dough 'stretchier'. But if you only have plain flour available don't let that stop you, you just need to knead the dough for longer. About 10 minutes of kneading will give you a good smooth dough, which will make a great pizza base.
Discover more delicious recipes:
Do I need to use yeast to make pizza dough?
Yes you do, you need the yeast in order to make the dough rise, to create the light and airy bread type base. Yeast is easy to work with, it just needs to be mixed well with lukewarm water and a little sugar. You just need to let it sit until it had created a foam top, this takes about 10 minutes, then its ready to add to your flour.
Follow our easy homemade pizza dough recipe below and we will guide you through it. Any questions let us know.
Once you have mastered the pizza dough recipe, check out our next step: how to make the pizza sauce. After you have the base and sauce made, simply add your favourite topping and cook pizza on 200 deg C for around 12 minutes.
Easy Pizza Dough Recipe
- 300 ml Water Lukewarm
- 7 g Yeast
- ½ teaspoon Caster sugar
- 500 g Plain Flour Use a strong bread or 00 flour if available (see notes above)
- 1 pinch Salt
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- Mix the lukewarm water, yeast and sugar together. Mix well and leave for about 10 minutes, until it has a foam layer on top.
- In a separate bowl sift the flour and add the salt.
- Create a well in the centre of the flour and slowly pour in the yeast mixture.
- Add the oil to the mixture.
- Using your hands to make circles slowly draw the flour into the yeast mix, until all is combined. Depending on your flour you may need to add an extra tablespoon of water or flour at this point to make the dough the right consistancy.
- Form a ball with the dough and place on a well floured surface. Knead the dough for 10 minutes until smooth. Take some time here to do this well, for a great end result!
- Place the dough in a well oiled bowl, light oil the top of the dough and cover with plastic wrap.
- Leave in a warm place, until the dough has doubled in size.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and knock the air out with your fist. Split into 4 and roll into balls.
- Place the balls back under cover to prevent drying out, until ready to roll into you pizza base and make you pizza's.
To make your pizza:
- Once you have mastered the pizza dough recipe, check out our next step: how to make the pizza sauce. When you have the base and sauce made, simply add your favourite toppings and cook pizza on 200 deg C for around 12 minutes.