A fresh and spicy coconut mussel salad, with delicious plump mussels and a creamy, spicy and sweet coconut dressing. This dish makes a delicious lunch or a beautiful plate on a shared table. Perfect for enjoying with friends and a glass of wine.
Hungry for more delicious yet simple recipes? Get your free copy of our e-recipe book today…
Coconut cream salad dressing
A delicious yet simple coconut cream salad dressing. This recipe has a Thai influence with its balance of sweet, sour, spicy and umami flavour of the fish sauce.
To prepare the dressing, simply: mix together the water, sugar, white vinegar and fish sauce in a bowl until the sugar has dissolved. Then add minced chilli, garlic and coconut cream. See our recipe below for full ingredient list.
A simple yet deliciously moreish salad dressing, whats not to love! A great go to dressing recipe!
How to prepare and cook fresh mussels
To prepare the mussels simply give the shells a good scrub and pull off any beards. If any of the shells are broken or cracked discard them.
To cook the mussels, take a large pot with a lid and place onto a high heat. Once the pot is hot add the prepared mussels along with a splash of water. Cover and allow the mussels to steam open. Once open remove from pot and allow to cool. Discard any mussels that don’t open.
Discover more delicious recipes:
Green Lipped Mussels
Native to New Zealand these mussels are longer and plumper then most mussels and known for their beautiful green lipped shells. These plump mussels are sweet and delicate in flavour and are believed to have a number of health benefits. These mussels are known for there anti- inflammatory properties, high in omega- 3 fatty acids. They are also a good source of zinc, iron, selenium and several B- vitamins. So its of little surprise, you can now buy green lipped mussel supplements! But we prefer the real deal and the flavour in this recipe, adds to all that goodness!
Omega seafood New Zealand
Here in New Zealand we have the delicious Omega seafood, gourmet cooked and vacuum-packed Greenshell mussels. These mussels are gourmet vacuumed packed for a long shelf life and ready to eat or heat, straight from the packet.
Omega’s Greenshell (green lipped) mussels are sustainably farmed in the pristine waters of the top of New Zealand’s South Island. Suspended on ropes, the mussels feed naturally without intrusion. Upon harvest, they lock their shells and hold approximately 1 teaspoon of seawater per mussel. Producing delicious, plump mussels!
This fresh and spicy coconut mussel salad, is a delicious dish with a hint of Thai flavours and will look stunning on any table. Perfect for a slow weekend lunch. ENJOY!
Love this dish? Please leave us a review below. And come join us on social, tag us in your delicious photos Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest. Hungry for more deliciousness? Subscribe to our newsletter, to receive our latest e-recipe book and never miss another ATK recipe!
Our goal is to share simple, tasty dishes created by Chef Shane and partner, Sara. Using Shane’s understanding of flavours and knowledge of food, to teach and inspire you to create delicious food everyday and gain a new level of confidence in the kitchen. Sara understands what it’s like preparing weekly dinners for a busy family of five and likes to create dishes that are easy, full of flavour and that the whole family will enjoy.
Spicy Coconut Mussel Salad
- 1 kg Omega Mussels debearded
- 1 kg Fresh mussels scrubbed and debearded
- 1 Red capsicum cut into small dice
- 1/2 Red onion thinly sliced
- 2 Green chillis thinly sliced
- 1 Spring onion stalk thinly sliced
- Bunch of fresh coriander
- 1 Lemon cut into wedges
Coconut Cream Dressing
- 60 ml Water
- 60 g Caster sugar
- 60 ml White vinegar
- 60 ml Fish sauce
- 1 Red chilli deseeded, minced
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 300 ml Coconut cream
Coconut Cream Dressing
- To prepare the dressing, mix together the water, sugar, white vinegar and fish sauce in a bowl until the sugar has dissolved. Add the minced chilli, garlic and coconut cream.
Prepare your Mussels
- If using the Omega mussels: open the pouch and remove the mussels, check for any beards in the mussels. Remove one shell per mussel so they are half shelled.
- For using fresh mussels: scrub and debeard the mussels. Take a large pot with a lid and place onto a high heat. Once the pot is hot add the cleaned mussels along with a splash of water, cover and allow the mussels to steam open. Once open remove from pot and allow to cool. Discard any that don't open. Remove one shell per mussel so they are half shelled.
- Place the half shell mussels into a large bowl.
- Add the diced capsicum, sliced red onion, sliced green chillies and sliced spring onion
- Pour over the coconut dressing and give it all a good mix.
- Arrange onto your serving platter and garnish with the fresh coriander and lemon wedges. Enjoy!