Cereal bars are really popular in our house, for lunch boxes or as a grab and go snack. But we got fed up of buying store brought ones, wondering what was actually in them, so we decided to create our own tasty version. The homemade date & oat cereal bars recipe has been tweaked over the years but finally we reached a taste and consistency we all loved!
These homemade date & oat cereal bars are not only tasty but super easy to make, great for lunchboxes. With its delicious, chewy date filling the adults will love it just as much as the kids.
Discover more delicious recipes:
How to make homemade cereal bars?
The ingredients for this cereal bar are really simple, the base is made with flour, butter, oats and brown sugar.
If you have a food processor it's super easy, start by adding the flour and butter to create breadcrumbs, then adding the oats and sugar giving them a short whizz to mix them up and break the oats up a little.
If you dont have a food processor, you can still easily make these by hand. Rub the flour and butter together to make breadcrumbs then stir through the oats and sugar.
For the filling, add the dates, water, lemon juice and honey to a saucepan with lid, on a low heat. Occasionally stir with a wooden spoon, using the back of the spoon to break the dates down a little. Simmer till the mixture is soft, adding a little more water if required.
Add half the base mixture to a lined and greased baking tray, pack it down firmly. Add the date filling, spreading it evenly across the base, then top with the remaining base mixture, packing it all down firmly.
Place it in the oven at 190*c for 35-40 mins.
After you have taken it out of the oven allow it to cool for 5 mins, before slicing it into 10 slices. Keep it in the baking tray till completely cooled.
Stored in an airtight container, these will last a week, but I am sure they will be eaten well before then.
If you are lucky even to have a few left over, they make a delicious pudding topped with custard! Yum!
These are too simple and tasty not to try... Enjoy!
We would love to see your creations, so share your photos with us 🙂
Love this dish? Please leave us a review below. And come join us on social, tag us in your delicious photos Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest. Hungry for more deliciousness? Subscribe to our newsletter, to receive our latest e-recipe book and never miss another ATK recipe!
Our goal is to share simple, tasty dishes created by Chef Shane and partner, Sara. Using Shane's understanding of flavours and knowledge of food, to teach and inspire you to create delicious food everyday and gain a new level of confidence in the kitchen. Sara understands what it's like preparing weekly dinners for a busy family of five and likes to create dishes that are easy, full of flavour and that the whole family will enjoy.
Homemade Date & Oat Cereal Bar
- 175 g Flour
- 175 g Rolled Oats
- 175 g Butter
- 50 g Soft brown sugar
- 175 g Dates (Dried) Chopped
- 60 ml Water
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- Preheat the oven to 190°c
- Prepare a 23x 23 cm baking tray. Use baking paper, add a few drops of water and scrunch it up, flatten it back out and line the tray. (This is a great technique for helping to pack in the mixture and not letting it stick)
- Place all the filling ingredients in a pan with lid on to simmer till dates are soft (approx 15 mins). Add an extra tablespoon of water as required. Occassionaly stir and use a wooden spoon to break the dates down.
- If using a food processor: add flour and butter whizz to create fine breadcrumbs. Then add oats and sugar, giving a short whizz to mix and break the oats up a litte.
- If doing by hand: Rub flour and butter together to create fine bread crumbs, stir in sugar and oats.
- Add half the base mixture to the baking tray and press down firmly.
- Add the date filling spreading it out evenly.
- Top with the remaining base mixture and pack it all down firmly.
- Place in the oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Once ready remove from oven and cool to cool for 5 mins. Keeping it in the tray cut out 10 slices. Leave the bars in the tray til completely cooled.
- Store in an air tight container.