Need a new chicken dinner recipe to add to your collection. This oven roasted chicken with mushroom sauce, is a delicious one pan dish. This creamy dish is sure to be a winner and will have you wanting to lick the plate clean! Ready for a new favourite, let us show you how to whip up this yummy dish.
This chicken dish is all about cooking amazing flavour in one pan. It starts by browning off the beautiful flavours of shallots, garlic, mushrooms and tarragon with the chicken and cream, creating a rich sauce. The pan is then transferred to the oven to finish.
This recipe is cooking from scratch at its best. Letting the ingredients and the heat do all the work, producing a delicious dish the whole family will love. If you are big fans of one pan dishes our popular chicken paella or creamy pork chops are a must try!
- Chicken - we used a whole chicken but thigh or chicken breast with skin on will work too.
- Shallots - mild and sweet these build great flavour.
- Mushrooms - use a variety if you can, depending on what's available. We used a mix of shitake and button mushrooms.
- Fresh tarragon - Optional, but find it if you can as it brings amazing flavour.
- White wine - choose a pinot grigio or sauvignon blanc for cooking. You can leave this out altogether or substitute for a splash of apple cider vinegar, to help cut through the richness.
- Chicken stock - homemade or stock bought works well.
- Cream - use a heavy or cooking cream.
- Baby spinach - fresh is best with this dish though frozen will work too just defrost and drain additional liquid.
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper.
See recipe card below for full quantities.
How to butcher a whole chicken
- Using a sharp knife.
- Take your whole chicken and place onto a board with the back bone down.
- To remove the legs, cut the skin between the breast and thigh then bend the leg away from the carcass to pop the joint. Cut through to remove. Repeat for the other leg. Cut between the thigh and leg joint to separate the pieces.
- To remove the breasts, cut down each side of the breast plate and slice the breast away from the rib cage. Repeat with the other side. Trim of the end of the wing tips.
- This will provide you with two breasts, two drumsticks and two thighs.
- Use the left over carcass and bones to create a delicious homemade chicken stock.
Whole chickens are normally really budget friendly and a great protein source. Learning to break down a chicken and using the meat in different ways, is a great way to create different week day meals without blowing the budget. So if this is something new to you, sharpen your knife and be confident.
You might also love...
Creating delicious chicken skin
#Pro chef tip
We highly recommend with one pan chicken dishes to cook the chicken first skin side down for delicious crispy skin. To do this, heat an oven proof dish on high on a hob and add a little oil. Using a paper towel, pat dry the skin side of your chicken. Season then place the chicken skin side down in the hot pan and turn the heat down the low. Then leave it to caramelise, don't move it around in the pan, this will take around 6 minutes.
Then set the chicken aside and continue making the sauce. Once ready return the chicken to the pan and cook in a pre heated 190 c fan oven for 20 mins or until the chicken is cooked through.
Creamy mushroom sauce for chicken
This delicious sauce is all about creating mouth watering flavour.
#Pro chef tip - use the same pan you just seared your chicken, as it has the cooking juices as a base flavour.
To the pan , add the chopped garlic, shallots and cleaned, sliced mushrooms, fry until they are just starting to colour. Add the tarragon and white wine then reduce until almost gone (this will cook off the alcohol). Add the chicken stock and simmer. Once the liquid is reduced by half, add the cream. Turn up the heat and bring to a boil, add a good pinch of salt. Return the chicken to the dish flesh side down, along with any resting juices.
Then place in a 190 c preheated fan oven for 20 minutes, until the sauce has reduced and the chicken is cooked through. Garnish with the chopped parsley and enjoy.
Serve with mashed potatoes, or favourite grains, seasonal green vegetables or corn on the cob. Delicious with crusty bread for mopping up the leftover sauce!
One pan meals are a great week day option and this oven roasted chicken with mushroom sauce, is a delicious recipe to add to your repertoire. We hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Love this dish? Please leave us a review below. And come join us on social, tag us in your delicious photos Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest. Hungry for more deliciousness? Subscribe to our newsletter, to receive our latest e-recipe book and never miss another ATK recipe!
Our goal is to share simple, tasty dishes created by Chef Shane and partner, Sara. Using Shane's understanding of flavours and knowledge of food, to teach and inspire you to create delicious food everyday and gain a new level of confidence in the kitchen. Sara understands what it's like preparing weekly dinners for a busy family of five and likes to create dishes that are easy, full of flavour, that the whole family will enjoy.
Chicken With Mushroom Sauce
- 1 Whole fresh chicken 1.8 kg size (See note 1)
- 12 Shallots Peeled
- 3 cloves Garlic Peeled and chopped
- 350 g Shitake Mushrooms (12.3 oz) (See note 2)
- 350 g Button Mushrooms (12.3 oz)
- Bunch Fresh tarragon optional
- 150 ml White Wine (5 fl oz) (See note 3)
- 200 ml Chicken stock (6.7 fl oz)
- 500 ml Cream (16.9 fl oz) Heavy or cooking cream
- 250 g Baby spinach (8.8 oz)
- Fresh parsley Chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Pre heat your oven to 190 °C / 374 °F
Butcher the whole chicken (if using)
- Take the whole chicken and place onto a board with the back bone down. Using a sharp knife:
- To remove the legs, cut the skin between the breast and thigh. Then bend the leg away from the carcass to pop the joint, cut through to remove. Repeat for the other leg. Cut between the thigh and leg joint to separate the pieces.
- To remove the breasts, cut down each side of the breast plate and slice the breast away from the rib cage. Repeat for the other breast. Trim of the end of the wing tips. (You can use the carcass and left over bones to make a delicious chicken stock).
Crisp the skin
- Heat a oven proof dish on a hot heat and add a little canola oil. Pat dry the skin side of your chicken pieces. Season with a little salt and pepper and place into the hot oil skin side down. Reduce the heat to low and allow the skin to really caramelise this will take around 6 minutes.Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
Create the sauce
- Prepare the mushrooms. Brush off any dirt then cut some into halves, quarters and some into slices.
- Add the shallots, chopped garlic and mushrooms to the pan and fry until they start to colour.
- Add the fresh tarragon then add the white wine (if using) and allow to reduce until almost gone, cooking off the alcohol. Then add the chicken stock and simmer until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Add the cream, turn up the heat and bring to a boil. Season with a good pinch of salt then place the chicken pieces (and resting juices) back into the pan, flesh side down.
- Place into the pre heated oven and cook for 20 minutes or until the sauce has reduced and the chicken is cooked. Add the baby spinach and stir through the sauce. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Serve with your favourite sides and enjoy!