Simple and tasty, spicy smoked fish cakes are yummy little morsels that will have you going back for more. Whether you have them with a salad or weekend snacks with a beer these fish cakes are sure to be a crowd pleaser! Adjust the chilli to taste and enjoy!
What fish to use for fish cakes?
We have used smoked mackerel, which adds a delicious flavour layer to the fish cakes. Though any smoked fish would work great. Dont over process your fish, keep it chucky so you get tasty bites of it throughout your fish cakes.
How to make simple fish cakes
Fish cakes can pack a fairly yummy punch in the flavour department, yet are simple to make.
Our recipe has smoked fish and potatoes as the main components. With a mix of onion, capsicum (peppers), chilli (adjust to taste) and parsley for added flavour and texture. These are simply mixed in a bowl and formed into patties. The patties are then crumbed, using a simple, egg, flour, crumb method then heated in a pan till golden.
These can be enjoyed for lunch or dinner with a seasonal salad or shared as a tasty nibble with friends. These are also great for prepping ahead, simply form the patties and store in the fridge. Once you are ready to cook them, simply crumb them then pop them in the pan. And you will have some tasty food to serve up in no time!
Discover more delicious recipes:
Here at A Tasty Kitchen we are big fans of cooking from scratch. These Simple And Tasty, Spicy Smoked Fish Cakes are a great recipe to give cooking from scratch ago. We promise once you have tried these with their delicious fresh flavour you wont go back to store brought!
ENJOY! Have questions or want to share your awesome creations, connect with us on social and we would love to hear from you.
Follow us here:
Spicy, Smoked Fish Cakes
- 1 fillet Smoked mackerel
- 3 medium Potatoes
- ½ Red onion
- ½ Red capsicum
- 1 stalk Spring onion
- ½ Red chilli (Adjust to taste)
- bunch Chopped parsley
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Egg yolk
- 1 cup Flour
- 2 Eggs
- ½ cup Milk
- 2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- Peel your potatoes and cut into chunks, place into a pot and top with cold water. Place onto your stove and bring to the boil, cook until just soft but not falling apart.
- Take your red onion and capsicum dice small, heat a pan with a little oil and cook until soft but not brown. Once cooked place into a large bowl.
- Take your mackerel fillet and break up the meat (check for any bones), keeping it a little chunky. Add your chopped parsley, chopped chilli and spring onion. Add the egg yolk.
- Add your cooked potatoes, a good pinch of salt and pepper and give it all a mix
- Form the mix into round 2cm thick patties.
- Grab 3 bowls and in one add the flour, in another add the eggs and milk and give it a whisk, in the 3rd add the panko bread crumbs.
- Pass each formed fish cake through the flour, dusting off any excess, then through the egg mix and finally through the bread crumbs.
- Heat a large non stick pan with a little canola oil and pan fry your potato cakes until golden on each side.
- Serve with your faviourte sauce or a seasonal salad.