Looking for a tasty side salad that's perfect for any occasion? This smoked salmon potato salad recipe ticks all the boxes! Packed with delicious smoked salmon, creamy potatoes, and fresh herbs, this salad is sure to be a hit with your family and friends. Whether you're hosting a barbecue or simply looking for a quick and easy side dish, this potato salad is the perfect choice. So why wait? Let's get cooking!
We think you will love how simple this potato side dish is to whip up. Easy to make but full of delicious flavour and textures. Like our orange and fennel salad it's perfect for a picnic, barbecue or as a refreshing side dish. Plus we have some great tips to prep this potato salad ahead.
- Baby potatoes - choose whatever variety of baby potatoes are in season and available to you.
- Eggs (medium)
- Mayonnaise - go for the best quality one you can afford or homemade.
- Dijon mustard
- Red onion - these work great for their milder, sweeter flavour you could substitute for spring onions/ scallions.
- Hot smoked salmon - again go for the best quality you can afford, for delicious flavour.
- Lemon - juice and zest
- Fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to season.
See recipe card for quantities.
This recipe really is a quick and simple one.
- In a pan boil the baby potatoes, until just soft. Once the potatoes are ready, strain and allow to cool.
While the potatoes are boiling:
- Bring a small pot to a rapid boil, place the eggs carefully in the water and cook for six and a half minutes. Once they are done place in ice cold water to cool.
- In a large bowl prepare the dressing. Add the mayonnaise, dijon, sliced gherkins, sliced red onions, lemon zest and juice and chopped parsley (reserve a little to garnish). Add a pinch of salt and pepper and mix well.
- Peel and slice the eggs in half and keep to one side.
- Once the potatoes have cooled, cut the larger ones in half and keep the small ones whole. Add to the mayonnaise dressing mixture and using a spoon mix well.
- Once all the components of the salad are ready, plate the dish in a serving bowl/ plate. To do this arrange the potato mix on the serving dish first, evenly arrange the eggs and flake the hot smoked salmon over the top. Then garnish with the remaining fresh chopped parsley. Serve and enjoy!
- The key to a great potato salad is perfectly cooked potatoes. You don't want them overcooked or they become too 'mushy' and you definitely don't want them undercooked! So watch them carefully while they boil and test them often with a knife or skewer to make sure they are just cooked.
- Make sure you allow time for the potatoes to cool down before mixing with the mayonnaise dressing.
How to prepare ahead.
This is a great side dish for prepping ahead. You can cook the potatoes and eggs, and create the mayonnaise salad dressing in the morning and store them all separately in the fridge, until ready to serve. Great for entertaining as you can quickly put the dish together, to easily serve a delicious fresh potato side dish.
If you do have leftovers, they can be stored covered in the fridge overnight and make a great lunch the next day.
The basis of this recipe is a classic and really flexible. We often whip up a variation of it depending on what ingredients we have available.
You can switch the smoked salmon for smoked mackerel. Or leave the smoked fish out altogether and add roast chicken or crispy bacon.
With such a versatile dish, get creative and make it your own, we would love to hear what you create.
Love this dish? Please leave us a review below. And come join us on social, tag us in your delicious photos Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest. Hungry for more deliciousness? Subscribe to our newsletter, to receive our latest e-recipe book and never miss another ATK recipe!
Our goal is to share simple, tasty dishes created by Chef Shane and partner, Sara. Using Shane's understanding of flavours and knowledge of food, to teach and inspire you to create delicious food everyday and gain a new level of confidence in the kitchen. Sara understands what it's like preparing weekly dinners for a busy family of five and likes to create dishes that are easy, full of flavour, that the whole family will enjoy.
Smoked salmon potato salad
- 500 g Baby potatoes 1.1 lbs
- 3 Eggs medium
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 50 g Gherkins sliced into rounds (⅓ cup)
- ¼ Red onion thinly sliced
- 125 g Hot smoked salmon 4.4 oz
- ½ Lemon juice and zest
- 1 teaspoon Chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the baby potatoes into a pot and cover with water. Place onto the stove and bring to a boil. Boil the potatoes until they are just soft, test by piercing with a knife or skewer. Strain off the water and allow to cool.
- While the potatoes are boiling, bring a small pot of water to the boil, once at a rapid boil add the eggs using a spoon, cook for six and a half minutes. Remove from the boiling water and place into an ice bath to cool.
- In a large bowl, add the mayonnaise, dijon, sliced gherkins, sliced red onions, lemon zest and juice and chopped parsley (reserve a little to garnish). Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and mix to combine.
- Peel the eggs and slice into halves and keep aside
- Once the potatoes have cooled, cut the larger ones in half and keep the smaller ones whole.
- Place into the mayonnaise mixture and toss using a spoon.
- Arrange the potato salad into a serving bowl or plate, arrange the eggs then flake over the hot smoked salmon and sprinkle over the remaining chopped parsley.