Psst... have you tried snapper ceviche, you need to, it's amazing!!
Super fresh line caught snapper, marinated with lime juice, fresh herbs and chilli. This snapper ceviche recipe is perfect for a special occasion or as an appetizer for your next dinner party. Ceviche is a delicious, yet simple dish to whip up, let us show you how.
Looking for more fish and seafood dishes be sure to view our recipe collection.
What is Ceviche?
Ceviche is a South American dish that originated in Peru. Generally made from fresh fish that has been marinated in an acid, either lime or lemon juice. The acid in the fruit gently cooks the protein in the fish so it becomes opaque. It also creates a firmer texture and adds flavour to the fish.
Ceviche is present in many cultures around the globe, all done with a slight twist depending on produce available. In Fiji it has the addition of coconut cream and is served with cassava crisps, called Kokoda. In Mexico they add chopped onion and tomato. But they are all based on raw fish cooked in citrus fruit.
What fish to use for ceviche?
Most types of fresh fish work well for ceviche. Though ideally choose a firmer white fish like snapper, king fish, Spanish mackerel or gurnard. Talk with your local fish supplier and choose what is fresh and sustainable in your region.
You can also use lobster, prawns or fresh clams for ceviche. Just remember the denser the protein, the longer it should be marinated.
- Fresh snapper fillets - Fresh fish is key here. See our notes above regarding what types of fish you can use and as always we recommend you speaking to your local suppliers to find out what's available and sustainable in your region.
- Lemons and a lime
- Red chilli - varieties of chilli vary in heat so taste and adjust if required.
- Yellow capsicum / bell pepper
- Spring onion / scallion
- Fresh mint
- Fresh coriander / cilantro
- Another lime to garnish
- Tostadas or plain tortilla chips - optional for serving.
How to make ceviche
Don't let the idea of preparing raw fish put you off this recipe. Ceviche is a great dish to do get confident cooking.
Follow our 3 simple steps to creating this delicious dish:
- Prepare all the ingredients - Thinly slice the fish, prepare the dressing and salad ingredients
- Marinate the fish - mix the fish with the lemon, lime and chilli dressing. Marinate until the fish turns opaque, this can very depending on type and thickness of fish.
- Assemble - mix the fish with salad and build layers of fish and salad ingredients to create a beautiful looking and tasting ceviche.
Ceviche is delicious served as it is and works well for appetizers.
We also love serving it along side some tostadas, fried tortilla or chips to bring some crunch to the dish. Serving it this way works great as part of a shared platter.
Is ceviche good for me?
Ceviche isn't just super simple to prepare and tasty. It's also really good for you! Ceviche is a great source of protein, high in omega 3 and 6. Raw fish is a great source of minerals like zinc, phosphorus, iodine and vitamins A, D, K.
So time to slice that fish, squeeze those limes and spice it up with a little chilli and get eating...
Love this dish? Please leave us a review below. And come join us on social, tag us in your delicious photos Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest. Hungry for more deliciousness? Subscribe to our newsletter, to receive our latest e-recipe book and never miss another ATK recipe!
Our goal is to share simple, tasty dishes created by Chef Shane and partner, Sara. Using Shane's understanding of flavours and knowledge of food, to teach and inspire you to create delicious food everyday and gain a new level of confidence in the kitchen. Sara understands what it's like preparing weekly dinners for a busy family of five and likes to create dishes that are easy, full of flavour and that the whole family will enjoy.
- 400 g Fresh snapper fillets See note 1
- 2 Lemons
- 1 Lime
- 1 Red chilli
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 Yellow capsicum
- 1 Spring onion stalk
- 10 g Fresh mint
- 10 g Fresh coriander
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Lime Cut into cheeks
- 1 ptk Tostadas Optional for serving
Prepare the fish and dressing
- Slice the snapper fillets into thin slices, place into the fridge to keep cool.
- Squeeze the lemon and limes into a bowl and remove any pips.
- Cut the chilli in half lengthways and remove the seeds, slice into thin strips then into small dice. Add the chilli to the lemon and lime juice along with the salt.
Prepare the salad
- Dice the yellow capsicum into small dice and place into a large bowl.
- Thinly slice the spring onion and add to the capsicum.
- Pick the mint and coriander leaves, rinse and add to the bowl.
- Cut the avocado into half and remove the stone, use a spoon to scoop out the flesh, then slice into thin slices
Marinate the fish
- Take the fish from the fridge and add the lemon, lime and chilli dressing, giving it a good mix. Allow the fish to marinate, until the fish turns opaque. (Timing will depend on type and thickness of fish)
- Add to salad bowl and mix well.
- To serve, create a pile on the plate or bowl, layering the avocado in between the ceviche.
- Serve with the tostadas and lime cheeks on the side