This Spicy Mexican Chicken Salad, is packed full of flavour. Fresh and delicious with a mix of classic Mexican ingredients and marinaded chicken breast. Whether you are entertaining friends or making a meal for two, this salad will be a big hit and hopefully there will be a little left over for lunch! 😉
Mexican chicken marinade
Our Mexican chicken marinade is full of flavour, with a mix of zing and spice, it is super tasty! Once you have prepared all the marinade ingredients, slice the chicken in half horizontally through the middle. (Making it half the thickness of the normal chicken breast).
Add the chicken and marinade to a mixing bowl, using your hands mix well. Place the chicken in a sandwich bag or tupperware making sure it is well covered in the marinade. Place in fridge and leave to marinade for as long as you can, we aim for 6 hours with this dish!
Discover more delicious recipes:
How to make smoked chipotle chilli dressing
Smoked chipotle chilli dressing is easy to make, super tasty and can be used with a variety of Mexican dishes. With yoghurt, lemon, chipotle chilli and a little salt this dressing is a yummy mix of spicy and sour. You simply mix all the ingredients together and store in the fridge while you prepare the rest of your meal.
Chiptole chilli’s bring an amazing flavour to the dish. We use the La Morena brand they are a smoked dried jalapeno (chipotle chiles) in a tomato-vinegar sauce. Yum.
This recipe is really 3 recipes in one, the marinade, black bean tomato salsa and the smoked chiptole dressing. These are all delicious and versatile dishes that can be used in a range of Mexican cooking. You can use the salad as a taco filling, add the salsa to your nachos or switch out the chicken for fish. Perfect for creating a Mexican feast for friends or family.
So if zingy, spicy flavours are your thing, this Spicy Mexican Chicken Salad is for you. This is a simple dish to make and most elements can be made or prepared ahead. I also have a little saying in my house ‘the best thing about salad for dinner, is the left overs for lunch’, so be sure to make a little extra and treat yourself 😉
Love this dish? Please leave us a review below. And come join us on social, tag us in your delicious photos Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest. Hungry for more deliciousness? Subscribe to our newsletter, to receive our latest e-recipe book and never miss another ATK recipe!
Our goal is to share simple, tasty dishes created by Chef Shane and partner, Sara. Using Shane’s understanding of flavours and knowledge of food, to teach and inspire you to create delicious food everyday and gain a new level of confidence in the kitchen. Sara understands what it’s like preparing weekly dinners for a busy family of five and likes to create dishes that are easy, full of flavour and that the whole family will enjoy.
Spicy Mexican Chicken Salad
- 2 Chicken breasts
- ½ head Lettuce Sliced
- 1 Corn on the cob
- 1 Avocado Sliced
- Oil Canola
- 8 cloves Garlic
- 2 tsp Oregano Dried
- 1 Lemon Zest & Juice
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1 Chipotle chilli Tinned, chopped
- 50 ml Olive oil
Black Bean Tomato Salsa
- 1 tin (400g) Black beans Washed and rinsed
- 2 Tomatoes Diced
- 1 Chipotle chilli Chopped (La Morena brand)
- 1 handful Fresh coriander Chopped
- 1 Spring onion Chopped
- ½ Lemon juice
- Pinch Salt To taste
Smoked Chipotle Dressing
- 200 g Natural unsweetened yoghurt
- 1 Chipotle chilli Chopped, (La Morena brand)
- ½ Lemon juice
- Pinch Salt
- ½ Red chilli Sliced (Optional)
- Small handful Coriander Chopped (Optional)
Chicken Marinade – prepare ahead.
- Using a pestle and mortar or mini chopper, blend all the marinade ingredients together.
- Slice the chicken breasts horizontally, then rub in the marinade. Place the ingredients into a plastic container or sandwich bag, making sure the chicken is well covered by the marinade.
- Place in the fridge, marinade for as long as you can, we aim for 6 hours.
Black Bean Tomato Salsa- Can be made ahead.
- Place all of the prepared salsa ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix well. Taste and correct seasoning. Set aside in the fridge.
Smoked Chipotle Dressing- Can be made ahead.
- Place the yoghurt, chiptole chilli, lemon and salt into a bowl and mix. Check seasoning. Set aside in the fridge.
Cook the chicken and sweetcorn to serve.
- Rub the sweetcorn with a little oil and salt. Heat your char grill pan (or non stick frying pan) to high.
- Place the sweetcorn on the pan, turning it allowing the corn to colour, it is ready once the corn is charred. Remember colour is flavour! Set aside.
- Leave the pan on high and add the chicken (dont overcrowd your pan). Char the chicken on one side, around 4 minutes then turn over charring the other side, a further 4 minutes. Once the chicken is cooked through, remove from pan and allow to rest.
Assembling the salad
- Prepare the lettuce and avocado.
- Prepare the sweet corn, slicing the kernels off the cob.
- Slice the chicken.
- Layer the lettuce, avocado, sweet corn and chicken. Spoon the salsa over and add the dressing. Top with red chili and coriander.
- We use the La Morena brand, they are a smoked dried jalapeno (chipotle chilles) in a tomato-vinegar sauce.