This hearty, meat free dish is not only full of flavour but also packed full of nutritious ingredients, that will give your immune system the boost we ALL need right now! This tofu turmeric & ginger immune boosting bowl is one of those meals that makes you feel healthy just for eating it but will also have you going back for seconds.
This is an easy mid week meal that the whole family will love. Great all year round, it is regularly on the menu in our house. But is also a next level nutritious dish to get you through the cold and flu season.
There are crazy layers of goodness in this Tofu, Turmeric & Ginger Immune Boosting Bowl:
Ginger - powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant.
Garlic - antioxidant also linked to reducing cholesterol and blood pressure.
Chilli - improves digestive health, metabolism and supports cardiovascular health.
Lemon grass - has antioxidant and antimicrobial properties.
Turmeric - anti inflammatory, antimicrobial, antioxidant properties and may improve skin health.
Coconut milk - has a variety of health benefits, lowers blood pressure and cholesterol. Builds muscle, improves digestion and reduces fat. It's also rich in electrolytes and can prevent fatigue.
The bowl fillings:
Tofu - great source of protein and contains all 9 essential amino acids.
Bok choy - great source of vit C, vit K, vit A and beta-carotene.
Edamame - great source of soy protein, it is rich in healthy fiber, antioxidants and vitamin K.
Topped with mixed microgreens:
Small in size, they pack a nutritional punch, often containing higher nutrient levels than more mature vegetable greens. Varieties vary slightly but most varieties are rich in potassium, iron, zinc, magnesium and copper. They are also a great source of antioxidants.
Microgreens are a fresh, tasty topping on so many dishes, even an awesome addition to a smoothie! Make sure you get to know your local microgreen grower, we are lucky to have Gibbston Microgreens in our area.
Discover more delicious recipes:
Just listing all the nutritional goodness in this dish, makes me want to whip up another batch. In these times more then ever keeping you and your family healthy is so important! This recipe easily feeds a family of four, with a little leftover for lunch 🙂
Enjoy this tasty bowl of goodness, please share with your family and families and lets keep well and healthy!
Tofu, Turmeric & Ginger Immune Boosting Bowl.
- 1 large Shallot
- 40 g Ginger
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 1 Red Thai chilli Adjust to taste and heat of chilli
- 1 tablespoon Lemongrass paste
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 2 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1.25 litres Stock Chicken or Vegetable stock depending on your dietary requirements.
- 1 tablespoon Fish sauce Optional
- 400 ml Coconut milk
- 1 lime
- Salt & Pepper
- 190 g Dried noodles
- 1 packet Firm tofu
- 1 Bok choy
- ½ cup Edamame (shelled)
- A handful Coriander (chopped) To garnish
- A handful Mixed Microgreens Optional To garnish
- 1 chopped Chilli To garnish
- 1 chopped Spring onion To garnish
To make the broth:
- Chop the shallot and place in a mortar and pestle (or mini chopper). Peel and chop the ginger and garlic, adding them to the shallot. Add the chill and blend ingredients to create a paste.
- Add the lemongrass and mix well.
- Heat the pan on a medium heat and add the oil. Once your oil is hot turn to a low heat and add your paste. Cook these ingredients through (until the raw smell has gone away), around 5 mins.
- Add the turmeric mix well and cook for a minute.
- Add your stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce to simmer for 45 minutes
- Prepare your bok choy by cutting off the root end and wash well.
- Cut your tufo to cubes (around 2 cm).
- Wash and prepare the coriander, chilli, spring onions and microgreens (if using)
- Prepare noodles, according to the packet.
Putting your bowl together:
- Once the broth has simmered for 45 mins, season with the fish sauce (if using if not use salt) to taste. Add the coconut milk, tofu, edamame and bok choy to warm through, this will take around 5 minutes.
- Portion the noodles into 4 bowls, pour the broth over and share the fillings into each bowl.
- Add the garnish, chopped coriander, chilli, spring onions and microgreens to each bowl and enjoy!