Classic Homemade Meatballs And Pasta - Is a simple yet tasty family classic, its a crowd pleaser and easy win around the family table mid week.
We love freshly made delicious meals, so batch cooking isn't really our thing. Though meatballs might be the exception to the rule, for those day's when are are juggling work, school, daycare and sports. Having a homemade tasty and filling meal ready to whip up is golden!
You might also love...
Batch cooking meatballs and pasta sauce
Have this classic dish ready for the nights when you need it most. Simply follow our recipe below for preparing the meatballs. Make sure you use fresh mince and not pre frozen (defrosted meat cant be refrozen prior to cooking). Once prepared you can freeze the meatballs in portions, a plastic container with lid and separated by baking paper works well. You can also pre cook our classic pasta sauce, as per our recipe below and freeze that into portions as well.
These mid week life savers can be defrosted in the fridge over night, simple take out a portion of meatballs and sauce for your serving size. You will then arrive home to a tasty and quick homemade meal, waiting for you to simply cook up. And cooking this dish couldn't be simpler!
Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil. Cook the meatballs for around 8-10 minutes. Once the meatballs are cooked through, pour over the sauce and allow to simmer while you cook the pasta. Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions. Once the pasta is cooked, drain and serve with the meatballs and a little grated parmesan on top. Serve and enjoy the peace of a everyone enjoying a delicious meal after a busy day. From our youngest to our oldest, they all tuck in and enjoy this meal.
So if this classic homemade meatballs and pasta dish sounds like a mid week saviour for your family, give it a try and we would love to hear your thoughts!
Love this dish? Please leave us a review below. And come join us on social, tag us in your delicious photos Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest. Hungry for more deliciousness? Subscribe to our newsletter, to receive our latest e-recipe book and never miss another ATK recipe!
Our goal is to share simple, tasty dishes created by Chef Shane and partner, Sara. Using Shane's understanding of flavours and knowledge of food, to teach and inspire you to create delicious food everyday and gain a new level of confidence in the kitchen.
Sara understands what it's like preparing weekly dinners for a busy family of five and likes to create dishes that are easy, full of flavour and that the whole family will enjoy.
Homemade meatballs and pasta sauce
- 500 g Pork or beef mince (Or use half of each)
- 1 large Egg
- 1 heaped tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 heaped tsp Dried rosemary
- 1 heaped tsp Oregano
- Pinch of Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
Tomato pasta sauce
- 1 medium Onion
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2 x 400g Tins of diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
- 1 bunch of Fresh basil (chopped)
- ½ cup Grated/ finely chopped vegetable of choice (Carrot, broccoli, capsicum or courgette work well)
- Your pasta of choice
- Parmesan cheese
To make the meatballs:
- Add the mince, mustard, egg, herbs and pinch of salt and pepper into a mixing bowl. Using your hands mix well.
- Divide into 4 balls, then each ball into 6 small balls.
- Place on a plate, drizzle with olive oil and put in the fridge to firm up.*
To make the pasta sauce:
- Finely chop the onion and garlic.
- Heat a large pan over a medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Add the onion and cook until soft, around 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute, then add the chopped basil.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and season to taste. Bring to the boil then reduce to simmer for around 20 minutes.**
- (If you prefer a smooth sauce, once cooked blend)
Cooking the meatballs:
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the meatballs and cook for around 8-10 minutes, until cooked through (there should be no pink left in the middle)
- Once the meatballs are cooked pour over the sauce and allow to simmer while you cook the pasta.
- Cook the dried pasta according to the packet instructions.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain, add half the pasta sauce and mix well.
- To serve plate the pasta topped with meatballs and remaining sauce and grated parmesan over the top. Enjoy!