Slow cooked sticky pork ribs! Now these are an absolute melt in your mouth, tender, fall off the bone winner. Slow cooked in the oven, then smothered in a sweet sticky chipotle spiced bbq sauce. Addictive and finger licking good.
Our family recipe for sticky pork ribs is great as your oven does all the work for you.
How to prepare ribs
To prepare your ribs, choose the side of ribs that is meaty and you will notice on the back of the ribs there is a thin membrane. You need to carefully peal this off. Starting on one side with a sharp knife get under the membrane to lift it, then with a good grip pull it away from the back of the ribs.
Why? By removing the membrane you are removing the chewy layer and they wont curl up during the cooking process.
Discover more delicious recipes:
How to make sticky pork ribs
This method is a two part slowed cooked process, that produces amazing ribs!
First, I use a dry rub on my ribs this adds the first layer of flavour while slowly cooking for 3 hours. Once tender I cover them in my secret (or soon to be not so secret) chipotle spiced bbq sauce and turn up the heat and allowing them to roast and caramelize. One mistake I see people make is being a little shy to turn up the heat! Remember colour means flavour!
These ribs are a great crowd pleaser or for a weekend dinner, we love to go all American with this meal and serve with some homemade coleslaw, corn on the cob and mac n cheese.
This is a finger licking good recipe that wont disappoint and we would love you to leave us a review either below or on social media! Enjoy
Sticky Pork Ribs
- 3 kg Slab of pork ribs
Dry spice rub
- 3 teaspoon Paprika
- 3 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 2 tsp Onion powder
- 1.5 teaspoon Dried chilli flakes
- 2 teaspoon Dried thyme
- 2 teaspoon Dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground black pepper
Chipotle bbq sauce
- ½ cup Apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cups Tomato ketchup
- ½ cup Water
- 4 ea Chipotle chillis use the tinned one in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoon black strap molasses
- ½ cup Brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 3 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preparation of Your Ribs
- Pre heat your oven to 140 deg C
- Place a piece off grease proof paper on the base of an oven proof deep dish. Make sure its large enough to fit your side of ribs in.
- On the back of the ribs there is a thin membrane, you need to carefully peal this off. Starting on one side with a sharp knife get under the membrane to lift it, then with a good grip pull it away from the back of the ribs.
- Take all of the dry spice rub ingredients and mix them together. Generously cover your ribs with the dry spice mix and place the ribs into your oven dish.
- Cover the ribs with another piece of grease proof paper and then cover with tin foil, sealing the sides, creating a good seal.
- Place into the oven and cook for two hours.
Preparing the Chipotle BBQ Sauce
- In a pot add the cider vinegar, tomato ketchup, water, chipotle chillis, molasses, brown sugar, mustard powder, garlic powder, worcestershire sauce, season with a pinch of salt and pepper, bring to a simmer and cook until it thickens, this will take around 30 minutes. Keep giving it a stir so it does not stick to the base of the pan.
Finishing Your Ribs
- Remove your ribs from the oven and remove the foil. They should now be tender, not falling apart yet but looking amazing.
- Turn the oven up to 190 deg C. Take your chipotle bbq sauce and coat over your ribs, making sure you cover the underside as well.
- Place your ribs back into your heated oven uncovered, after 20 minutes carefully turn you ribs over and allow the underside to color as well.
- You want your ribs to have a good char and caramelization to them, remember this means flavour . When you are happy with the color of your ribs, remove from the oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- Now you can serve your ribs as they are or cut them into one or two rib pieces.
- Serve with home made coleslaw, mac and cheese, corn on the cob and a few cold beers.
- Finger licking goodness awaits, enjoy!