This is one of those great dishes that lets the roasting process do all the hard work for you, developing delicious flavour.
We think you will love the sweetness from roasting the carrots and red onion, with the addition of the fennel and cumin seeds flavours. Topped with hummus and seasoned perfectly, creating a dish that dances on your palate and will leave you wanting more.
What are heirloom carrots?
Heirloom carrots are traditional carrots that haven't been genetically modified like the popular orange carrot. Heirloom carrots come in a variety of colours red, purple, white, yellow. Their colours are natural and have adopted over time to their environment and soil type. Heirloom carrots are sweeter and have more nutritional benefits, then the orange carrot.
In this recipe we have used purple heirloom carrots, a great antioxidant and good source of vitamin K and C. Pick a variety that's available in your area or if you are lucky create a whole rainbow of carrots!
This side dish will work amazingly along side lamb, like our slow cooked lamb shoulder or roasted lamb rump. Or serve along roast pork or a baked salmon for a delicious weekend meal.
Sprinkle with a little pistachio dukkah for an extra layer of flavour and texture!
- Purple heirloom and orange carrots - You may find a beautiful selection of heirloom carrots at your local supermarket, if not try your nearest farmers markets. Or you can substitute for whatever range of carrots are available to you.
- Red onion - these are already sweet and mild, roasting them intensifies that flavour and works perfectly for this dish.
- A bulb of Garlic - cooking them unpeeled, allows them to roast in their own skin creating amazing flavour. They can then be squeezed out into the dish, adding a beautiful roasted garlic flavour.
- Fennel seeds & cumin seeds - both should be available in you local supermarket and add another flavour profile, that work amazingly with roasted carrots.
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hummus - optional, but it is a delicious topping to this dish.
- Small bunch microgreens - optional again, but we love the sprinkle of fresh greens over the top.
In a few simple steps this tasty dish will be in the oven and developing flavour:
- Preheat your oven to 180 °C / 356 °F.
- Prep your ingredients - peel and cut the carrots into chunks. Quarter the red onion and break up the garlic bulb, but keep the cloves in their skin.
- Mix the carrots, red onion, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, garlic, olive oil and salt and pepper into a large bowl.
- Place an oven proof dish over a high heat on the stove and add all the ingredients from the bowl. Allow them to roast and create a little colour.
- Pop the oven dish into the oven and roast for 35 minutes.
- Once ready, remove from the oven, add some dollops of hummus and sprinkle over the micro greens.
- Serve and enjoy!
This is a great dish for prepping ahead. Simply prepare all the ingredient and add to the mix bowl bar the olive oil, store covered in the fridge. Once ready to cook, simple add the oil and mix then continue with the cooking and roasting steps as per the instructions.
This roasted heirloom carrot salad recipe is simple to make, yet creates a delicious side that your family and friends will love. Enjoy!
Love this dish? Please leave us a review below. And come join us on social, tag us in your delicious photos Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest. Hungry for more deliciousness? Subscribe to our newsletter, to receive our latest e-recipe book and never miss another ATK recipe!
Our goal is to share simple, tasty dishes created by Chef Shane and partner, Sara. Using Shane's understanding of flavours and knowledge of food, to teach and inspire you to create delicious food everyday and gain a new level of confidence in the kitchen. Sara understands what it's like preparing weekly dinners for a busy family of five and likes to create dishes that are easy, full of flavour, that the whole family will enjoy.
Roasted Heirloom Carrot Salad
- 2 Purple heirloom carrots (See note 1)
- 4 Carrots Orange
- 1 Red onion Peeled
- 1 Bulb of Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Fennel seeds
- 1 Tsp Cumin seeds
- 60 ml Olive oil (¼ cup)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 80 g Hummus (2.8 oz) (optional)
- Small bunch Microgreens (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C / 356 °F.
- Peel and cut the carrots into large chunks.
- Cut the red onion into quarters and break up the garlic bulbs, keeping the cloves in the skin. (The roasted garlic can be squeezed out of their skins prior to eating).
- Mix the cut carrots, red onion, fennel seeds, cumin seeds and garlic in a bowl, add the olive oil and season with the salt and pepper.
- Heat an oven proof dish over a high heat on the stove, then add all the mixed ingredients from the bowl. And allow to roast a little to create some colour.
- Roast a little to give a bit of colour then place into your oven.
- Place the oven dish into the oven and roast for 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and spoon over some hummus and sprinkle over some micro greens (if using). Serve and enjoy.
Leave your reviews, comments and questions below.