The smell of this homemade crunchy granola, is so delicious and warming. You will find yourself wanting to have a little taste test as soon as it’s out of the oven! Granola goes down a treat in our family, so I have been playing around with the right recipe for years. This granola has the right amount of crunch and flavour, making it deliciously addictive.
And if you enjoy homemade breakfasts, our Bircher Muesli (Overnight oats) is a must try recipe too!
Basic granola recipe
This recipe is our basic recipe, which is a great base and is super versatile. Depending on how you like your granola you can add a variety of your favorite seeds, nuts and/or fruits. The kids will love adding their own flavours and toppings too.
Some great additions our coconut flakes, dried apricots, cranberries, banana chips, macadamia nuts, almonds, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds… get creative and tell us what combinations you try!
It’s great served with just milk or you can layer it with yoghurt and fruit or even just enjoy it as a snack. Whether it’s a breakfast favourite or healthy desert, it’s great to have a batch ready made. For storage, keep it in an airtight container in your pantry and it will keep well.
Discover more delicious recipes:
How to make homemade granola crunchy
The secret to making this granola crunchy is really in the method. Make sure you mix the dry and wet ingredients well. The mix of sugar and oil creates the crunchy balls of ingredients, which really toast well during cooking. When layering the mixture on the baking tray, spread it out evenly, with about 1cm thickness.
Part way through the cooking process, you will need to give the granola a stir. The trick to more crunchy granola is resisting the urge to stir it too soon. You want to wait just to the point before taking it to far and letting it burn! At 170°c cook the granola for 20 minutes before giving it a stir, then return to the oven for a further 5-15 minutes. The timing will depend on the preference of your toasted levels, so first time keep an eye on it and pull it out when your happy!
Not only is it simple to make but it’s super tasty and much better than store brought! So give it a go and enjoy!
Homemade Crunchy Granola
- 450 g Rolled oats
- 120 g Sunflower seeds Substitute with a mix of your favourite seeds and/or nuts
- 175 g Apple sauce
- 2 tsp Cinnamon (dried)
- 1 tsp Ginger (dried)
- 60 g Rice syrup Substitute with golden syrup
- 4 tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Coconut oil Substitute with canola oil
- 300 g Raisins Or any mix of dried fruit
- 125 g Mixed seeds and/or nuts (Optional)
- Heat oven to 170°c
- Add all the ingredients (not the toppings) into a large bowl
- Mix well, making sure the apple sauce and oil is evenly mixed throughout the mixture
- Pour mixture into a baking tray, you want to create a layer about 1cm in thickness
- After 20 minutes carefully remove the tray from the oven and give the mixture a good stir
- Place back in the oven for an additional 5-15 minutes, depending on how toasted you like your granola.
- Remove granola from oven, stir through raisins and any additional seed or nut toppings. Allow to cool.