Simple to make yet delicious to eat. Mussel fritters are popular here in New Zealand, perfect as an appetizer, snack or a great way to feed a crowd. Our recipe uses a classic fritter batter, along with a few additional ingredients to build great flavour. Enjoy!
If you love fish and seafood, this is a great all year round dish. We love whipping up fritters for an easy Friday eat or for enjoying while a game is on. Serve with our horseradish mayo and a wedge of lemon, for a tasty dish.
Fritters are great served as part of a shared platter. This recipe would work well with our ever popular sushi, spicy New Zealand mussels, vegetable rice paper rolls and our delicious smoked salmon dip.
This recipe for mussel fritters has classic batter ingredients:
- Self raising flour
- Salt and pepper
- Plus of course the fresh mussels - we used beautiful green lipped mussels as they are native here in New Zealand. But depending on what's available in your area you could also use vacuum packed or frozen mussel. Just make sure you fully defrost frozen mussels in the fridge overnight prior to cooking them.
Then a few additional ingredients to build flavour:
- Curry powder
- Spring onions/ scallions
- Jalapenos - you can adjust the heat to your preference.
- Sweetcorn kernels - if in season use fresh and cut the kernels of the cob. Or use frozen or canned just drain off extra liquid prior to adding to the batter. We used frozen as fresh sweetcorn is not in season right now.
- Salt and pepper
Plus a little oil and butter for cooking.
See the recipe card below for quantities.
How to prepare and cook mussels
To prepare fresh mussels, first scrub then debeard them. (This is the part that looks like hair, simply pull it off)
To cook fresh mussels. Cover a large pot with a lid and place on a high heat. Once the pot is hot, add the cleaned mussels along with a splash of water, cover and allow the mussels to steam open. Give any that haven't opened yet another minute or two, to see if they open. Once ready remove the mussels from the pot and allow to cool a little. Discard of any unopened mussels.
Follow our 3 simple steps to making delicious mussel fritters:
- Prepare and steam the mussels - discard any mussels that don't open. Allow the open ones to cool then remove and chop the mussel meat.
- Create the batter - in a large bowl mix all the ingredients together, cover and allow to chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Cook the fritters - spoon the batter on to a hot non stick frying pan, cook for a few minutes each side until golden.
Serve with your favourite sides and enjoy!
You might also love...
This recipe is super versatile. You could switch the mussels for clams, prawns, cooked chicken, feta or zucchini depending on what you have available, all of these options would be tasty. Just make the batter as per our recipe below and follow the same method.
Always give the batter time to rest and chill in the fridge.
Get the pan nice and hot, let the butter melt and foam a little, before adding the batter.
Love this dish? Please leave us a review below. And come join us on social, tag us in your delicious photos Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest. Hungry for more deliciousness? Subscribe to our newsletter, to receive our latest e-recipe book and never miss another ATK recipe!
Our goal is to share simple, tasty dishes created by Chef Shane and partner, Sara. Using Shane's understanding of flavours and knowledge of food, to teach and inspire you to create delicious food everyday and gain a new level of confidence in the kitchen. Sara understands what it's like preparing weekly dinners for a busy family of five and likes to create dishes that are easy, full of flavour, that the whole family will enjoy.
- 1 kg Fresh mussels (2.2 pounds) scrubbed and debearded (See note 1)
- ¼ cup Milk
- ½ cup Self raising flour
- ½ teaspoon Curry powder
- Pinch of Salt and pepper
- 1 Egg
- 80 g Sweetcorn kernels Frozen
- 2 sticks Spring onions / scallions Finely sliced
- 20 g Jalapenos Fine chopped
- 2 tablespoon Canola oil
- 2 tablespoon Butter
Horseradish mayo (optional)
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon Horseradish cream
- Lemon wedges To serve
Prepare the mussels
- Scrub and debeard the mussels. Take a large pot with a lid and place onto a high heat .Once the pot is hot add the cleaned mussels along with a splash of water, cover and allow the mussels to steam open. Once open remove from pot and allow to cool. Discard any that don't open
- Remove the meat from the shell. Roughly chop the mussels.
For the batter
- In a large bowl, add the milk, flour, curry powder, salt and pepper and egg, whisk until smooth.
- Then add the (defrosted) sweet corn kernels, spring onion, jalapeno and chopped mussels and mix until well combined.
- Cover and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
To cook the mussel fritters
- Heat a large non-stick pan to a medium heat, add the canola oil and butter, allow the butter to melt and foam a little.
- Using a dessert spoon add a spoonful of the batter into the pan, keeping a gap between each spoonful of batter.
- Allow to cook on one side until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes then flip to cook the other side until golden brown.
- Mix the mayonnaise and horseradish cream well and set aside.
- Place the fritters on plate with horseradish mayo, a wedge of lemon and enjoy!