A great warming chicken, prawn and chorizo paella recipe, that the whole family will love. This dish is quick to prepare but full of flavour. Starting on the stove, to develop flavour for 10 minutes. Then placed in the oven for 20 minutes, letting the heat do all the hard work for you and saving you from standing at the stove stirring! A quick and easy weekday dinner that is the perfect one pan dish, more flavour, less dishes. Win-win!
Let us show you how to recreate this delicious dish!
3 simple steps to creating a delicious weekday dish.
This really is a great quick dish, 3 simple steps and you have a dinner that packs a punch in the flavour department.
- Prepare all the ingredients.
- Heat an ovenproof dish, cook off and brown all the ingredients. Add the rice then the liquid and bring to the boil.
- Place the dish straight into the oven for 20 minutes. (And this is my favourite part) let the heat do all the hard work for you, allowing the rice to absorb all that amazing flavour you created at the stove top.
Once ready, we love to just place the dish on the table and let everyone tuck in, for a true one pan dinner experience (and less dishes)!
Related dinner ideas.
If like us, you love a one pan chicken dinner, then we think you'll also love our chicken with creamy mushroom sauce recipe or our one pan creamy chicken thighs with chorizo recipe. Or switch it up and try this delicious pork dish. For another quick and easy weekday dinner then this noodle dish is a must try. Enjoy!
Ingredients and substitutes.
Our recipe uses some classic paella ingredients but also a lot of pantry basics.
Traditionally paella comes from the Valencia region of Spain and consists of short grain rice, either chicken or rabbit, green beans and stock. Traditionally paella never uses chorizo, but for me it is a must, as it gives a great smoky spice flavour to the finished dish.
Need substitute ingredients? There are a few that work well in this dish. You can switch the chorizo for smoked bacon or pancetta. Calamari would work well instead of prawns. You can switch in or add chopped green beans. And if you don't have passata, you can use an equal amount of chopped tomatoes or a smaller amount of tomato paste.
What is the best rice to use for paella?
The best rice to use is short a grain rice like aborio, senia or bomba.
Short grain rice is used because it absorbs liquid and flavour really well and holds together during the cooking process, without going too mushy.
Other paella recipe ideas.
Chicken, prawn and chorizo paella is our favourite but honestly unless you are going for a traditional dish, it's actually entirely up to you. But don't go silly with the flavours! You want to think of flavours that work together and can hold up to the cooking process.
Chorizo, squid, mussels, clams, prawns, green peas make a great seafood paella.
Or capsicum, courgette, spinach, artichoke and olives for a delicious vegetarian option.
It just depends on what you like to eat and how traditional you want to be. You can make the ingredients seasonal to your region or simply use up what you have available. Once you know the basic method, get creative!
If you love flavoursome one pan dinners this creamy pork loin chops is a must try!
Frequently asked questions
A good paella is about developing flavour in the pan, then boiling the rice in the liquid. This allows the rice to absorb all that delicious flavour. Our method for cooking paella, finishes the dish in the oven. Meaning you don't have to stand over the pot stirring and allows the heat to do the work.
Rice. Short grain rice will asborb the flavour and a great texture to your dish.
Yes, use a heat proof pan to brown and cook off the ingredients on the stove top first. Add the rice then liquid and bring to the boil. Then place the dish in the oven, to finish cooking.
We hope we have inspired you to get cooking and give this chicken, prawn and chorizo paella recipe a try. You may just have found a new favourite weekday dinner.
Love this dish? Please leave us a review below. And come join us on social, tag us in your delicious photos Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest. Hungry for more deliciousness? Subscribe to our newsletter, to receive our latest e-recipe book and never miss another ATK recipe!
Our goal is to share simple, tasty dishes created by Chef Shane and partner, Sara. Using Shane's understanding of flavours and knowledge of food, to teach and inspire you to create delicious food everyday and gain a new level of confidence in the kitchen. Sara understands what it's like preparing weekly dinners for a busy family of five and likes to create dishes that are easy, full of flavour, that the whole family will enjoy.
Chicken, Prawn and Chorizo Paella
- 1 Large, deep ovenproof pan
- 50 ml Canola oil
- 1 Onion
- 5 cloves Garlic
- 300 g Boneless, skin off chicken thigh
- 1 Chorizo sausage
- ½ Green capsicum
- 3 teaspoon Smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Dried oregano
- 100 ml Passata
- 12 Cherry tomatoes
- 12 Prawns
- 1 cup Aborio rice
- 3 cups Chicken stock
- Salt to taste
- 1 Lemon (Quartered) Optional
- Pre heat your oven to 190°C / 375°F
- Cut the chicken thigh into 2 cm cubes.
- Next peel and cut your onion into 2cm cubes, slice your capsicum and slice your chorizo sausage. Peel and slice the garlic cloves.
- Heat your pan on a medium heat and add the oil.
- Add the chicken thigh, chorizo, onion, capsicum and garlic to your pan, fry over a medium heat until it is slightly caramelised, this should take about 5 minutes.
- Add your smoked paprika and dried oregano, stir in for a minute then add passata, cook for a minute. Now add your rice and stir well to coat with the flavours.
- Add your prawns and cherry tomatoes, season with a good pinch of salt then add your chicken stock.
- Bring to the boil on the stove top, once boiling carefully place your paella into your preheated oven, set your timer for 20 minutes.
- Once times up carefully remove, check your rice is cooked and the stock has been absorbed into the rice, if not place back in the oven until it is cooked.
- Allow to rest on the bench for 5 minutes before you serve. Add sliced lemons (optional)A great dish to place in the middle of the table and let everyone help them selves, Enjoy!